Scraps of History

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Day 4-Harlem Renaissance

Today's discussion focused on the Harlem Renaissance. I loved this morning's discussions. I would have to say that I learned more this morning than what I had on any other day. I had not realized that so many of the men and women involved in the movement had some connection to Kansas. Even though I do not teach Kansas History it is always a great way to make a connection with the students when they know that some of these people lived or worked right here in Kansas. Also, as a bonus I found a great Dramatic Interpretation piece for one of my forensics students to perform next year.
An interesting discussion we had in our small group was whether or not to use the "n" word in class. But I think some of us want to make the information as relevant as possible and would be willing to break away from ourselves use the term so the students would know that it had a different meaning 100 years ago than what it does now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home