Scraps of History

Monday, July 11, 2005

Day 1 Discovery-Dr. Wintz

Dr. Wintz spoke to us this morning about African American history and four of the leading participants in civil rights. His discussion focused Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. DuBois, Marcus Garvey, and A. Phillip Randolph. I learned a lot of interesting facts this morning. I was like a lot of people and believed that everyone who was an activist was for the same political cause. What I did not realize was that they were rivals in their political thought and did not necessarily compete for a common good. There was also the idea of either for African Americans to assimilate into white society or should they leave to establish their own society in Africa?

Also, I did not realize that the NAACP was established by blacks and whites for a common good. I believed that it was established by African Americans only. But I did know that they were for developing the minds of young black youth to become strong in their society.

After looking at these men I think they could have accomplished far greater success if they could have put away their differences and worked together to better their race. If that would have happened there may not have been such a violent civil rights movement in the 1960s. If there is anyone who could add to my new found knowledge I would appreciate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home