Scraps of History

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Day 3-lynching

A funny question for today. How would I teach my students about race riots and lynching. The truth of the matter is I did a day last year with my junior American History class. I had prepared a powerpoint presentation the summer before about the Tulsa, Oklahoma race riots of 1921. There was photographs of the men and women rioting, but also there were pictures of the aftermath of the riot. I wanted them to see what the end result of the hate driven riot. The students were amazed at the amount of damage that was done in a few days. I then talked about the race riot that took place in Independence, Kansas the year before. The kids did not know that Independence made national news because of the riot against a person who did not actually commit a crime. The way I taught my students was to be honest with them. They need to know what happened and they need to know that it is up to them not to make the same mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home